Not only does this protective vitamin support immunity, it also helps to regulate the amount of calcium in the body, which is needed to keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy.
Vitamin D3 NRV:
The NRV recommends of 5ug Vitamin D per day, Her.9 contains 25ug, 500% of your NRV for the day (this amounts to roughly 350g of Mushrooms)
- Regulating the production of calcium and phosphate in bones
- Bone growth and remodelling
- Reducing inflammation
- Regulating cell growth
- Enhancing neuromuscular function
- Supporting immune function
Recently the role of immunity has been clearly demonstrated and during pregnancy, when the body is more vulnerable to invading microorganisms, there is an even greater need to keep the immune system functioning at top capacity. Vitamin D3 supports the immune providing further protection for the body.
Vitamin D supplementation is extremely important during pregnancy as deficiency is common among pregnant women in the UK. Vitamin D deficiency is associated with an increased risk of pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes mellitus, preterm birth, and other tissue-specific conditions.
Public Health England recommends that pregnant women should take vitamin D both throughout their pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding to ensure that their baby has enough vitamin D for the first few months of life.
- Cod liver oil
- Allan, G. M., Cranston, L., Lindblad, A., McCormack, J., Kolber, M. R., Garrison, S., & Korownyk, C. (2016). Vitamin D: a narrative review examining the evidence for ten beliefs. Journal of general internal medicine, 31(7), 780-791.
- National Institutes of Health. (2014). Office of Dietary Supplements, Vitamin D Fact Sheet for Health Professionals.
- Vaziri, F., Nasiri, S., Tavana, Z., Dabbaghmanesh, M. H., Sharif, F., & Jafari, P. (2016). A randomized controlled trial of vitamin D supplementation on perinatal depression: in Iranian pregnant mothers. BMC pregnancy and childbirth, 16(1), 1-12.
- Meehan M, Penckofer S. The Role of Vitamin D in the Aging Adult. J Aging Gerontol. 2014;2(2):60-71. doi:10.12974/2309-6128.2014.02.02.1
- Vitamin D Deficiency: Symptoms & Treatment. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/15050-vitamin-d--vitamin-d-deficiency
- Vitamin D recommendations | International Osteoporosis Foundation. Accessed January 21, 2021. https://www.osteoporosis.foundation/vitamin-d-recommendations
- Fernandes de Abreu DA, Eyles D, Féron F. Vitamin D, a neuro-immunomodulator: implications for neurodegenerative and autoimmune diseases.