A diverse nutrient that helps maintain and psychological function, such as concentration, learning, memory and reasoning.
Vitamin B12 NRV:
The NRV recommends 2.5ug of B12 per day, Her.9 contains 9ug, 360% of the NRV (this is equivalent to 8 eggs)
- Supports energy metabolism and helps to reduce feelings of tiredness and fatigue
- Plays a role in cell division and human embryonic development
- Important for pregnant women following a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle
Responsible for a wide range of health benefits, vitamin B12 is a diverse nutrient that supports energy metabolism and helps to reduce feelings of tiredness and fatigue. It also helps to maintain normal psychological function, which includes cognitive processes such as concentration, learning, memory, reasoning, and resistance to stress.
Vitamin B12 is important in cell division and differentiation, which are crucial for human embryonic development. Vitamin B12 deficiency in pregnancy is associated with an increased risk, for both mother and baby, of several adverse outcomes. These risks include neural tube defects, intrauterine growth retardation, preeclampsia, and early miscarriage.
Her.9 contains methylcobalamin, an active naturally occurring form of vitamin B12 that is ‘body ready’, meaning that it can be effectively absorbed and utilised by the body.
- Horvat, P., Gardiner, J., Kubinova, R., Pajak, A., Tamosiunas, A., Schöttker, B., ... & Bobak, M. (2016). Serum folate, vitamin B-12 and cognitive function in middle and older age: The HAPIEE study. Experimental gerontology, 76, 33-38.
- Leishear, K., Boudreau, R. M., Studenski, S. A., Ferrucci, L., Rosano, C., De Rekeneire, N., ... & Hogervorst, E. (2012). Relationship between vitamin B 12 and sensory and motor peripheral nerve function in older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 60(6), 1057-1063.
- Iqbal, S. P., Kakepoto, G. N., & Iqbal, S. P. (2009). Vitamin B12 deficiency--a major cause of megaloblastic anaemia in patients attending a tertiary care hospital. Journal of Ayub Medical College, 21(3), 92.
- Behere, R.V., Deshmukh, A.S., Otiv, S., Gupte, M.D. and Yajnik, C.S. (2021). Maternal Vitamin B12 Status During Pregnancy and Its Association With Outcomes of Pregnancy and Health of the Offspring: A Systematic Review and Implications for Policy in India. Frontiers in Endocrinology, 12.